Wednesday, February 15, 2012

BACK to the Gym?

Day 5


Have you ever said to yourself, "I don't have time to exercise".  Well, it was tempting for me to say that today because of the list errands that my family and  I had to complete.


The first thing in the morning, right after breakfast, was a routine doctor's appointment for my wife because she is 31 weeks pregnant with our expectant daughter.  Everything turned out well at the appointment and everything is going according to schedule.


After the appointment, we stopped by Walgreen's to get a snack.  I ate one of those peanut caramel crunch Smart Protein Bars, made by MuscleTech, which was the yummiest protein bar that I have ever tried.  Some of the past ones that I tried either tasted like chalk or had health- destructive high fructose corn syrup as one of the ingredients.


This snack trip was followed by a trip to Little Chick shoe store so Isaiah, my two-year-old son, could try on some shoes because he is growing quickly.  However, to my amazement, his current shoes still fit, at least maybe for another day or two, so we didn't buy any shoes.  After the shoe shopping, we went shopping for food at the Natural Health Food store, and then we were going to go shopping for more food at Aldi.  However, Isaiah fell asleep in the van so we went home and postponed the shopping trip for later today.  After all this shopping, I was wiped out and certainly did not feel like working out.


I knew that I had to overcome this sluggish feeling and put my flesh in check if I am ever going to be victorious in my journey, and in my life.  That is why I decided to work out in spite of my sluggishness. I knew that if I didn't go today, I might not go work-out tomorrow or ever again.  Today's fitness program had me working out my back muscles, followed by 20-30 minutes of cardio.  I did three sets of back exercises on the three back muscle machines at Planet Fitness, and I have to admit that I didn't do the full 30 minutes of cardio.  However, I did do 20 minutes.  It is my understanding that I am not going to be perfect in my quest to live healthy but trying is better than doing nothing at all.



1 Corinthians 9:24-27

English Standard Version (ESV)
 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.26 So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control,[a] lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.
Footnotes:
  1. 1 Corinthians 9:27 Greek I pummel my body and make it a slave


1 comment:

  1. Way to go for just doing it. Any time I don't feel like working out, I know I'll feel amazing after I do it. Sometimes I'm sluggish because I haven't been active enough. I've found working out to be the PERFECT cure for a bad mood, feeling kind of yucky, or just not wanting to work out. :) Does a body and mind good, for sure. Keep it up, sir!

    ReplyDelete