Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Enemy's Obstacles

Hello, it is Day Two in my journey to transform my health and my life, and Satan has already tried to throw some stumbling blocks onto my path.  Yesterday, just after signing up for a gym membership at Planet Fitness, and having had my first work-out, I came home and discussed with my wife about how awesome the gym was, and how great I felt.  We were discussing what it would feel like for us to both be healthy and fit, when all of a sudden, the door bell rang.  I answered the door to see who it was, and to my humor, it was a little girl selling Girl Scout Cookies with her mother's help.  I felt bad laughing at the little girl and her mom, and I had to quickly explain that my wife and I were just discussing living healthy lives, which made the little girl's mom crack up and say, " I guess that's a no then".  I quickly replied, "yep".  It was a crafty attempt by the enemy to thwart my plans, I must admit.  Those Samoans sure are tasty!

In addition to this quick temptation coming my way, I faced other challenges while at working today.  I work as a cashier for Walgreen, and today, all the junk food that I ate toward the end of the week was at war with the healthy food that I ate during the last couple of days.  This war wreaked havoc on my body, and led to frequent trips to the restroom.  Needless to say, it wasn't a fun day at work.
Also, as a Walgreens cashier, I am responsible for scanning all kinds of food items, and it seemed like all my customers today decided to buy all of my "former" favorite junk foods, including my very (former) favorite Half-baked Ben and Jerry's ice cream.  I am also required in my position to suggest to customers that they should add promotional candy bars, such as Reese's and Snickers, to their purchases, also former favorites of mine.  I was thinking that I need a new job if I am going to successfully lose weight and feel great.

God really helped me to resist temptation today.  He helped me by bringing to mind what victory will look and feel like, playing with my kids, and being a better husband and employee.  When I weighed my options, sweets vs. life, life won over my mentality today.  Satan lost the battle today but I know he will be back because he does not want to see a joyful, victorious Christ follower because victorious Christ followers have the power to change the world, to lead people from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of God.

New International Version (©1984)
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

No comments:

Post a Comment