Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Journey Begins

Hi, my name is Mike Russell.
I am 5'9" and I currently weigh 300 pounds!  I have constructed this prison of fat around me over a course of four years, and have decided today to break free today by choosing to live a healthy lifestyle, including a diet of only natural foods straight from the finger of God and a daily dose of exercise. 


My most important key to success will be prayer and devotion to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  
He is the One that said in John 10:10: 
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (NIV).

Up until now, I have not lived life to the full.  I have not enjoyed activities that I would like to do such as play sports.  Shopping for and fitting in clothes has even been a challenge.  




I have not even been able to eat an ounce of food without the food police (relatives, friends, and strangers) giving me the evil eye.  This is no life to have.  
How can I proclaim victory in Christ if I am fat, sick, and nearly dead?


My wife, two-year-old son, and my daughter due in April deserve better from me.  My son wonders why I cannot play with him because I get out of breath so easy.  I refuse to let him live the same childhood that I lived through, one that involved bullying because of my obesity. Therefore, I will live by example from this day forward.


Today, I began a gym membership at Planet Fitness and worked out for the first time on this journey.  I worked out for 20 minutes on an elliptical machine and it felt great!  Over the course of the next year and beyond, I am going to be updating my daily progress on this journey to reclaim my health in Jesus' Name.  


Feel free to come on this journey with me if you are tired of not living the abundant life that Jesus died for you to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment