Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Comforter

Who or what is the comforter in your life?  Where do you turn when life makes you anxious, stressed, and fearful?  For me, the answer to that question has been clearly, food, for most of my life.  I have often lied to myself and others by saying that God, The Holy Spirit, is my Comforter.  However, the amount of pounds that added around my waistline over the years, from eating ice cream and brownies, tell the real truth.  


This week, I had a job interview for a customer service representative position, in which I had already made it through four different assessments/prerequisites for the interview itself.  I thought that they would offer me a position at the interview but drove home disappointed at the thought of waiting some more for confirmation.  I was told that I had to wait two more weeks to find out if the job was mine.  A situation like this would have previously led to a binge on sweets as an anxiety cure.  This time, I instead actually turned to my God and Savior to help take the anxiety from me.  I still ate some food in response to my stress but it was a healthy alternative, consisting of a cup of strawberry Greek yogurt.  God helped me to make a healthy choice and to not give in completely to my fleshly desires.  This is a huge step toward victory in my life, and I will continue to walk with Jesus to the finish line!


Whitney Houston/Mariah Carey "When You Believe"

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:6-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment